Sclerotherapy - Pre & Post Care Instructions
- Bring prescribed compression stocking hose or tensor bandages to the office on the day of the procedure.
- No alcoholic beverages for 72 hours before the procedure.
- Avoid Aspirin (Novasen), Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), and other anti-inflammatories, Vitamin E, fish oils, St. John's Wort, Ginkgo Biloba and high doses of garlic for two weeks prior to the procedure. Tylenol can be taken without any problems. If in doubt, clear anything you are thinking of taking with the doctor or staff before taking it.
- Eat a light meal before coming to the physicians office.
- Be prepared to remain at the office for 15 minutes after the first procedure.
- Bring shorts and your prescribed compressions stocking with you to be worn during and after your procedure.
- Immediately after the sclerotherapy procedure you will put on your prescribed compression stocking or tensor bandages.
- Bring loose fitted clothing and comfortable shoes to be worn immediately after the procedure.
- Maintain normal activities after the procedure. You are encouraged to walk as much as possible and avoid standing in a single position for prolonged periods of time.
- Avoid strenuous activity such as running, high impact aerobics and weight lifting for 5 days after the sclerotherapy procedure.
- If any unusual post-procedure symptoms occur such as persistent pain, unusual diffuse bruising, skin breakdown, large amounts of redness, swelling, pus, pain or warmth in the treated areas, or if you have a fever, chills, or feel unwell, call the office immediately.
- Avoid Aspirin (Novasen), Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), and other anti-inflammatories, Vitamin E, fish oils, St. John's Wort, Ginkgo Biloba and high doses of garlic for 24 hours after the sclerotherapy procedure. Consult your doctor prior to this change in medications if you have been placed on them for medical conditions/indications.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call our office at (905)-336-9624.