Post Care Instructions After Neuromodulators (Botox, Nuceiva, Xeomin)
What should I expect?
- You can experience some mild swelling and redness at the site of injection that lasts approximately 30 minutes post treatment.
- Some patients uncommonly experience mild bruising that may take up to a week to resolve. If this happens to you, consider avoiding anticoagulants before your next treatment (e.g. Aspirin, Advil/Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, St. John's wort, etc.)
- Some patients develop a mild pressure headache which can be treated with over the counter Tylenol or Advil.
- Treatment effect will gradually start in a few days after treatment but it may take 7-14 days for full effect.
Is there anything that I should do today?
- Exercise the treated facial muscles for 30 minutes after the treatment.
- Do not touch or massage the treated area for 4 hours post treatment. This includes avoiding application of makeup, creams or moisturizers and avoid wearing hats that may touch the area.
- Avoid laying down or heavy lifting for 4 hours post treatment.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours post treatment.
What are some uncommon side effects?
- Rarely patients can experience temporary asymmetry of the brow or mouth region (depending on region treated). When treated around the mouth one can rarely experience altered speech, eating or drinking pattern.
- Rarely patients can experience a temporary drooping of the eyelid.
- There have been reports in literature that show that patients can experience temporary double vision, however this is considered extremely rare.
- There have been rare cases of transient or severe headaches lasting 1-2 weeks or longer.